Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Funcoland

4 posters

:: Off-Topic :: Off Topic

Go down

Funcoland Empty Funcoland

Post  Tron Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:41 pm

hey, did anyone ever get a chance to got to one of these stores? it was like a gamestop, and a gaming lounge all in one. They had several gaming stations around the store, but also stuff available to buy... i just got to thinking about it, and decided to post about it
Tron
Tron

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=1510020046

Back to top Go down

Funcoland Empty Re: Funcoland

Post  ThePaperClip Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:50 pm

Was bought by Gamestop
ThePaperClip
ThePaperClip

Back to top Go down

Post  Inri Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:36 am

*cough* monopoly *cough*
Inri
Inri

https://mtsu.facebook.com/profile.php?id=753597617

Back to top Go down

Post  Tron Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:06 am

oh... no wonder. i didn't know about it, but i saw it asking if i'd ever worked at one, when i was filling out an application for gamestop. But that sucks... Funcoland was a great great place. I loved it there
Tron
Tron

Back to top Go down

Post  Lawke Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:40 am

Tron wrote:oh... no wonder. i didn't know about it, but i saw it asking if i'd ever worked at one, when i was filling out an application for gamestop. But that sucks... Funcoland was a great great place. I loved it there

pretty much any game store you ever knew that wasnt just a "mom 'n pop" store was bought by GameStop.

EBgames, Babbages, the list goes on. i personally hate it really. from what my manager says, they are responsible for 60% of all video game sales in America.
Lawke
Lawke
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Inri Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:24 pm

yeah, gamestop is gay. babbages used to sell videogame action figures for the collector nerds, like me. funcoland used to have about 10 tvs, and you could demo just about any system with 3 different games. now, i'm trying to remember this one store...i think it was called rhino games. i'm probably a little off, but they sold import videogames from europe and japan which was really, really awesome.

and now, gamestop has normalized the videogame store with its selling of only what will certainly make them money along with other corporate nonsense.
Inri
Inri

Back to top Go down

Post  Tron Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:46 pm

yeah, it was Rhino games... i used to know where one was. By the Walmart in the boro, near woodbury pike... but i think it's a game stop now. But, i didn't realize they sold imported games... that is pretty awesome.
Tron
Tron

Back to top Go down

Post  Lawke Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:22 pm

here's some statistics and research that Joystiq did on GameStop:

The Four Publishers

"GameStop has revealed that merchandise from only four publishers made up more than half of its 2007 new product sales. GI.biz reports out of the 40 publishers and manufacturers with goods sold at Gamestop, the top new product sale figures came from Nintendo (21%), Sony (17%), Microsoft (16%) and Electronic Arts (11%).

Those statistics are only for new products; GameStop admits that its used market creates "significantly higher" profits for the company. The company generated $7 billion in sales last year and continues to expand at a rapid rate. Remember, every time you buy a used game from GameStop some Mom & Pop shop dies ... Oh, who are we kidding, they're already dead. All hail the GameStop overlords!"

Rhino Games

"As rumored last week, Blockbuster has reached an agreement to sell Rhino Video Games to GameStop. Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter estimates that GameStop will pay less than $40 million for the small retail chain, which operates 72 locations in the southeastern United States and averages roughly $550,000 in annual sales (per store). Blockbuster has owned Rhino since May 2004, but has elected to divest this non-core asset as the company focuses on its Total Access rental service. GameStop was the obvious buyer, as the umbrella corporation already controls an estimated 98% of the US's used games market.

GameStop chairman and CEO R. Richard Fontaine explained that Rhino's integration into the GameStop network would result in "operating synergies." That's business-speak for "no more 2-for-1 trade-ins."

GameStop In NASCAR

"Fans of high speed circular driving and pre-owned video games will be pleased to see a familiar sight at the NASCAR Nationwide Series at the Dover International Speedway on May 31 -- a Gamestop sponsored stock car, driven by the fresh faced Joey Logano. Gamestop debuted the young driver to the racing world today by celebrating Logano's eighteenth birthday (the required age for NASCAR drivers), and presented the new adult with an Xbox 360 and an advance copy of NASCAR '09 (for training purposes, we assume).

We don't anticipate Logano to set any records at his debut race -- apparently, his pit crew has been instructed to ask if he'd like to exchange his old tires for trade-in credit at every stop, then ask if he wants the one-year warranties on his new tires, and finally, if he'd like to reserve additional tires for any upcoming pit stops."
Lawke
Lawke
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tron Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:52 pm

HAHAHA.... very nice... i hate Nascar... thats one sport that i never quite understand the hype for... and i never knew all those stats about Gamestop... i hate monopolies.
Tron
Tron

Back to top Go down

Post  Inri Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:35 pm

"[A]pparently, his pit crew has been instructed to ask if he'd like to exchange his old tires for trade-in credit at every stop, then ask if he wants the one-year warranties on his new tires, and finally, if he'd like to reserve additional tires for any upcoming pit stops."

LOL
Inri
Inri

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: Off-Topic :: Off Topic

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum