Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Happening

3 posters

:: Off-Topic :: Off Topic

Go down

The Happening Empty The Happening

Post  Inri Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:29 pm

SUCKED
Inri
Inri

https://mtsu.facebook.com/profile.php?id=753597617

Back to top Go down

The Happening Empty Re: The Happening

Post  Shadowspine Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:42 pm

I warned you Daniel, but no, you had to go see it for yourself. That's what you get. It was more of a comedy in the sense that it was so bad it was funny. Our whole theater was laughing at most of the "dramatic" parts. It's what I imagine Napoleon Dynamite would be if they made it a scary movie. Mark Walburg is the worst actor in the universe.

"Everyone's dead? Cheese and Crackers!"
Shadowspine
Shadowspine

Back to top Go down

Post  Inri Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:32 am

lol, yeah. but i don't think mark walburg is all that terrible in general. he did a good job as dignam in the departed.
Inri
Inri

Back to top Go down

Post  Lawke Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:37 pm

did you not catch the overall meaning of the movie?

albeit, its my least favorite of his, but i still enjoyed it.
Lawke
Lawke
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Inri Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:31 am

i caught the meaning of the movie with the first time they mentioned "maybe it's the plants". i started getting annoyed after the 234089234 time they said it. and at the very end of the movie, they had to completely spell it out for you... maybe even twice.
Inri
Inri

Back to top Go down

Post  Lawke Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:08 am

Inri wrote:i caught the meaning of the movie with the first time they mentioned "maybe it's the plants". i started getting annoyed after the 234089234 time they said it. and at the very end of the movie, they had to completely spell it out for you... maybe even twice.

think deeper. he had the same concept when he made Signs, but this one was a little harder to read.

hint: the moral is not about plants.
Lawke
Lawke
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Inri Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:05 pm

you had to quote my entire post? ;P

anyways, when i first watched the movie, my impression was that it was an environmentalist statement. "we don't treat the world right, so the world will attack back" kind of a thing. i don't see many other explanations to it. when the people seperated themselves from other people, they survived. so maybe the movie was saying "watch out for yourself, and you'll be okay." honestly, it was such a poorly executed movie, i really don't want to think about it. maybe m. night had a good idea, just like signs, but this time he half-assed it. if you can't coherently express a thought, how do you expect others to understand you?

i loved signs. my dad and i watch that movie probably once a year. unlike most of the population of the america, i enjoyed The Village. i'm a fan of m. night shayma-whatever, so i want to know the message in The Happening. i'm just angry because this has got to be his weakest movie ever. in other words, spell out for me the meaning of the movie, please. i googled "the happening morals" and google turned out to be useless...
Inri
Inri

Back to top Go down

Post  Lawke Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:06 pm

ill agree with you in that the message was poorly executed and wasnt anything shocking. the entire movie seemed to be put together in a sloppy manner and a lot of scenes were either not needed or were not explained well enough.

as corny and basic as it sounds, its the message of Love. not just two people, but rather for the entire world to love one another. if love does not exist, mankind is practically killing itself (hence, the neurotoxin that the plants were giving off, causing the humans to commit suicide).

i relate it to Signs because Signs isnt about aliens, just as The Happening is not about killer plants. Signs gives the message "everything happens for a reason." i dont think M Night honestly believes that plants will do something like this, its just to deter you away from a deeper message and to add modern suspense.

a few hints at love are in the movie. one that stood out to me was the mood rings. Mark Wahlburgs ring is always green, signifying that he is in love. love = green = plants. eh? also, at the end when the two main characters run at each other in the middle of the yard, they are not affected by the neurotoxin because the plants were not sensing any hate or disdain, hence they live.

the reason why it first hit really big in the northeast (more specifically, Central Park) is mainly due to the fact that a lot of hate is in the New York area. Sin is at every corner in places like that, such as California, Nevada, etc.

like you said, it was nothing jaw-dropping, and the message of Love is a very basic one, but it didnt even feel like the two main characters even liked each other, let alone love.
Lawke
Lawke
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadowspine Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:30 pm

Sixth Sense= great if no one spoiled the ending
Signs= good movie, nice moral
The Village= Highly underrated
Lady in the Water= worst movie ever
The Happening= second only to Lady in the Water

there's an obvious trend in his work. It's steepily going downhill. Please someone stop him before he makes another!
Shadowspine
Shadowspine

Back to top Go down

Post  Inri Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:21 am

never saw lady in the water, but you're missing one...
Inri
Inri

Back to top Go down

Post  Lawke Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:54 am

Unbreakable.

never seen it, but i hear its good.
Lawke
Lawke
Admin

Back to top Go down