Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Smash Bros Brawl impressions?

+4
Deadeye Jedi
Blankrubber
ThePaperClip
Lawke
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Your Smash Bros Brawl impressions? Empty Your Smash Bros Brawl impressions?

Post  Lawke Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:53 pm

Well we finally got to play the game we've been waiting for. So I ask you, did it live up to the hype? Do you like it more than Melee (so far)?

*edit* My Brawl Impressions

Last edited by on Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lawke
Lawke
Admin

Back to top Go down

Your Smash Bros Brawl impressions? Empty Re: Your Smash Bros Brawl impressions?

Post  ThePaperClip Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:26 pm

Last edited by on Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:06 am; edited 1 time in total
ThePaperClip
ThePaperClip

Back to top Go down

Post  Blankrubber Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:30 pm

YES!

That's all I can say. Everything is as good or better than I imagined it. The soundtrack caught me by surprise, that every single track, 300 of them, is so well done.

The only bad thing are the large number of "smash" characters. I know, I'm half-noob, so you're like wtf, but it seemed like they added plenty of them, and kept some old ones in. Ike, Marth, Zelda, Ganondorf, maybe King DeDeDe (not too sure).
Blankrubber
Blankrubber

Back to top Go down

Post  ThePaperClip Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:42 pm

Last edited by on Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:06 am; edited 1 time in total
ThePaperClip
ThePaperClip

Back to top Go down

Post  Lawke Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:50 pm

Blankrubber wrote:
The only bad thing are the large number of "smash" characters.

'cha mean by smash?

*edited first post to add my impressions*
Lawke
Lawke
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ThePaperClip Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:02 pm

Last edited by on Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:05 am; edited 1 time in total
ThePaperClip
ThePaperClip

Back to top Go down

Post  Lawke Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:22 pm

ThePaperClip wrote:Zelda isn't a smash character..

according to Brawl Central:

"Zelda
# Number of jumps: 2
# Wall Hop: No
# Wall Cling: No
# Gliding: No
# Crawling: No
# Weight: Light
# Speed: Normal
Best 3
# Arial Forward or Back A: 67% (WTF!!)
# Aerial Up A: 81%
# Side A: 104%"

http://brawlcentral.com/news.php?y=2008&m=1

shes one of the hardest hitting characters.
Lawke
Lawke
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Deadeye Jedi Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:10 pm

Well what I liked most about brawl was...

...oh wait...nevermind.
Deadeye Jedi
Deadeye Jedi

Back to top Go down

Post  Blankrubber Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:22 pm

What I mean by "smash" character is a character that can be played with the c-stick, effectively. Not to say some smash characters, or whatever you want to call them, are for noobs, referring to the c-stick comment, but they're the kinds of characters that will get an opponent up to 70% in three hits. I just don't enjoy them, personally.

That's why I added Zelda, along with Ike and the rest of the gang.
Blankrubber
Blankrubber

Back to top Go down

Post  ThePaperClip Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:49 pm

Last edited by on Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:05 am; edited 1 time in total
ThePaperClip
ThePaperClip

Back to top Go down

Post  Lawke Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:17 am

ThePaperClip wrote:

Also why do you guys hate the Cstick so much? Every player has access to it? It's only a shortcut to do a quick smash attack? To defend myself, I use Cstick for Cdown with Zelda, and don't even use the cstick with Ike (His smash attacks are unreasonably slow, it's more effective to use the A combo or aerial attacks. The only smash attack that isn't slow as Christmas is his Up A.) I do spam cstick with Marth though, I won't try and defend that.

the source is from Famitsu, a very popular Japanese gaming magazine/website, not Brawl Central.

also, i did see that others can KO at percantages around hers too. i was just saying shes ONE of the hardest hitters, not the hardest.

The reason most of us hate C-stick is because:

1. It effortlessly kills opponents.

2. It's not in the original Smash. The addition of the c-stick just doesnt sit well with most veteran smashers.

3. The game would be better off without it. You can do smashes with A, but they just seem to come out too fast with the c-stick (imo).

Last edited by on Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Lawke
Lawke
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lawke Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:20 am

ThePaperClip wrote:Zelda's forward A and back A are very hard to hit a moving target with, if you don't hit the correct spot it does almost no damage. Then if we take the numbers that you posted into concideration, logically it cannot be how hard her attacks his for; Thus it must mean how early she can KO a player. Using the exact same site you provided as information: Peach upsmash can KO at 80%, DK able to KO at 75%, Fox at 93%, Link at 84%, Kirby 83%, Dedede 44%, Lucas 75% 88% and 90%, Pikachu 76%, Olimar 79%, Ivysaur 59% 96% 102%.

dont forget to mention Zelda has the best projectile in the game. not to mention shes a light/fast character. a combination of power and speed dont sit well with me, hence why i enjoy Sonic and Metaknight. fast characters that cant KO till 150% most of the time (usually higher in a 1v1).
Lawke
Lawke
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dyne Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:51 am

Lawke wrote:dont forget to mention Zelda has the best projectile in the game. not to mention shes a light/fast character. a combination of power and speed dont sit well with me, hence why i enjoy Sonic and Metaknight. fast characters that cant KO till 150% most of the time (usually higher in a 1v1).

Zelda is not a fast character. She is fairly slow, more so in the middle, and cannot fast fall. I'll agree the projectile is a bit unbalanced but I personally see not problem with the kick because it does have to be sweet spotted (along with several of her other attacks). And as you said she is light weight, she can deal damage but can't take it real well (3 min mage?!).
Dyne
Dyne

Back to top Go down

Post  Dyne Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:06 am

Even though my game play hasn't improved in this version, my impressions with brawl are quite good. To be honest I had a lot of doubt about it from the get go. Specially do to how queasy melee's game mechanics made me. So far I really haven't found anything I can sit down an complain about outright. the games flow has definitely taken a good turn as the chance to just destroy a character without any retaliation has been altered, along with easier recoveries, and great character balance.

I suppose I'll find more to complain about as I get to see more of the game and continue my outstanding losing streak, in which I'll come back later to spin the tale.
Dyne
Dyne

Back to top Go down

Post  Blankrubber Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:42 am

It's not such a bad position, Dyne. I got used to it =P.
Blankrubber
Blankrubber

Back to top Go down

Post  Lawke Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:47 pm

Dyne wrote:
Zelda is not a fast character. She is fairly slow, more so in the middle, and cannot fast fall. I'll agree the projectile is a bit unbalanced but I personally see not problem with the kick because it does have to be sweet spotted (along with several of her other attacks). And as you said she is light weight, she can deal damage but can't take it real well (3 min mage?!).

she is not fast in movement speed, no, but she has a lot of abilities that are quick to come out. movement speed doesnt effect much, weve all seen that when you compare Ike and Sonic.

she also has a reflector that got a serious buff. reflectors are one of the best things for characters to have now, especially with the projectile spamming thats been happening in FFAs. she can also use it to get people off of her.
Lawke
Lawke
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dyne Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:20 pm

Lawke wrote:she is not fast in movement speed, no, but she has a lot of abilities that are quick to come out. movement speed doesnt effect much, weve all seen that when you compare Ike and Sonic.

she also has a reflector that got a serious buff. reflectors are one of the best things for characters to have now, especially with the projectile spamming thats been happening in FFAs. she can also use it to get people off of her.

I didn't get to play her much but from what my hands can remember her move sets are generally on the slow side as well. They have a start up time and have to be sweet spotted for the best effect. At any rate if we can sit and call Zelda over powered the game can't be that off balanced because she definitely has her flaws and is perfectly beatable.
Dyne
Dyne

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadowspine Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:35 pm

I wasn't very impressed with Brawl

maybe because I haven't played enough, or maybe because I was hyped and ready to play it back in November, but so far, I don't see a new game; I see melee thats prettier and has more characters. That's not to say I don't like the game; I'm sure if I owned it and played SSE and used the level designer I'd like it a lot more, but with 7 years and 3 delays under their belt I just feel like they could have done something more to change the dynamic of the gameplay for Brawl.
+ Clones and OP'd characters are still running rampant.
Shadowspine
Shadowspine

Back to top Go down

Post  Deadeye Jedi Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:28 pm

Heh Peach OP

Oral Pleasure.
Deadeye Jedi
Deadeye Jedi

Back to top Go down

Post  Blankrubber Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:14 am

Just for the record, I never said Zelda was OP, or orally pleasureful for that matter.
Blankrubber
Blankrubber

Back to top Go down

Post  Lawke Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:58 am

i didnt claim any OP characters either, i just can already tell some are extremely strong. usually i base my claims on the overall character, not just one aspect. the reason i said Ike was strong was because regardless of his "slow speed" he has other means to make up for it, such as range and power. zelda is strong because she has a slew of utilities including a reflector, great projectile, and hard hitting smashes. i even think Lucario is one of the stronger characters too because of his "fake-out" range. im sure once daniel practices more with him, hes going to be one of the hardest characters to beat.

sorry but peach isnt as strong anymore. she got fixed in the ways that she should have, both buffs and nerfs.
Lawke
Lawke
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Hog Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:18 am

yea, it's hella hard to kill people with peach now:)
Boss Hog
Boss Hog

Back to top Go down

Post  Blankrubber Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:32 am

I was fighting against Lucario today, and I have to agree Tim, I had no idea what hit me when I got hit... Quite the confusing character to fight.
Blankrubber
Blankrubber

Back to top Go down

Post  Inri Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:22 am

Dyne wrote:Even though my game play hasn't improved in this version, my impressions with brawl are quite good. To be honest I had a lot of doubt about it from the get go. Specially do to how queasy melee's game mechanics made me. So far I really haven't found anything I can sit down an complain about outright. the games flow has definitely taken a good turn as the chance to just destroy a character without any retaliation has been altered, along with easier recoveries, and great character balance.

I suppose I'll find more to complain about as I get to see more of the game and continue my outstanding losing streak, in which I'll come back later to spin the tale.

yeah, me too. look at our old melee data. i had that SONC name for about 3 to 5 months and i almost caught up to CHAR's losses
Inri
Inri

https://mtsu.facebook.com/profile.php?id=753597617

Back to top Go down

Post  Inri Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:27 am

Lucario has an semi invisible shockwave that comes out of his smashes (that are slow as hell, mind you). you can see them if he uses his attacks in the water.
Inri
Inri

https://mtsu.facebook.com/profile.php?id=753597617

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next