Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Age of Conan review

3 posters

:: Gaming :: User Reviews

Go down

Age of Conan review Empty Age of Conan review

Post  Lawke Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:47 pm

so there has been a lot of speculation that this is another flop MMO that will only last a few months, or until something better (Warhammer) is released. I am here to say that, from what I have seen, this is not a flop.

I'll start off by saying, "What you see is NOT what you get" in this game. by that, i mean watching videos and just hearing about this game is not good enough to judge if it is any good. this is truly one of the very few games that I've played that feels very different from how it looks from a third person perspective.

Right now, I'm a level 32 Tempest of Set, a spell-casting Priest class who uses Electricity to defeat his enemies. There are a total of 80 levels in this game, which many see as either too many or not enough. most players hate the grind to max level and just want to enjoy the game at the end. unfortunately, most MMOs that have come out have followed this philosophy wrongly by making the leveling grind bland, tasteless, and only focusing on "end-game".

So far, i have played a total of 7 different MMOs quite a bit, some definitely more than others. without a doubt, i can say that the "grind" to 80 so far in Age of Conan is phenomenally fun. the main reason this is so is due to the very unique combat system. no more auto-attacks in this game. you have a choice of 3 different directions to attack (5 later on) and a slew of different combos and spells to mix and match. when it comes to abilities and spells in this game, i find it fascinating that the majority of your spells are gained through your choice of "Feats" or as some may be more familiar with the term, Talents.

probably the biggest attraction to this game is the PvP. I can say, that so far, the PvP is very unique. you cant play this game like WoW really, but it closely relates to Guild Wars, however I have an easier time understanding what im getting hit with and how to deal with it in Age of Conan. probably my favorite part of it so far is fatalities. consider fatalities like an extreme version of a Critical Hit. use a combo or spell on an enemy at moderately low health and it goes into a sequenced animation, depending on your character. for Melee characters, its usually slicing a limb or head off, while blood squirts everywhere on the ground. for casters, its less exciting but still cool. so far, with my character, the enemy turns blue and gets exremely electrocuted, then plummets to the ground. as i said in the beginning, describing the game doesnt even come close to playing and experiencing it yourself.

I know im still a low level for the most part, but i can definately see where the game is taking me and where i will probably end up. i honestly picked this game up to "blow time" to yet another MMO grind, but i am truely having fun.
Lawke
Lawke
Admin

Back to top Go down

Age of Conan review Empty Re: Age of Conan review

Post  Shadowspine Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:57 pm

I like how you bold faced all the key words. I didn't even read the review and I know you enjoy the game.
Shadowspine
Shadowspine

Back to top Go down

Post  Blankrubber Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:50 pm

Lawke hates phenomenally fun fatalities?
Blankrubber
Blankrubber

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down